Friday, November 3, 2006

Eastwood To Sound Off on Heroism Today


Google did these pictures


Eastwood to Sound off on Heroism Today


Time


November, 2006


Eastwood was very interesting in this article. He talked about how during WWII we had an attitude of going to erradicate fascism because that was the job that Patton and all of the men had to do! Did we know or understand post traumatic stress syndrome?No!


Were men treated for it? No! "Be a man!" society said...So man men had trouble adjusting after the war.


Eastwood thinks that our old mentality of "taking care of things" has changed and that therefore , since there is more "bureaucracy" in the military, strategies that used to be popular are not available to the men.


Modernisation has its' costs and this is one of them.


Please leave comments about Eastwood, what he says, and B.T.W. will you read the new book by Bradley and Powers called "Flags of Our Fathers"?


TY 


 


Clint Eastwood

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'll read the book yet.
As for us not taking care of soldiers past. He's right.

Anonymous said...

I think it is very sad the way our society treats military people past and present...I mean just look at all the ones homeless on the street, that just isn't right.  
http://blog.myspace.com/poptartcoco

Anonymous said...

Hey Nat!  I always loved Clint Eastwood.  I haven't read the Times article though, so don't know all what he said.  I understand what he means though in the portion you wrote.  Men that I know who served in WW 2 seem to be tough, but a lot of them have a hard time talking about what they went through.  I'm only going on my own thoughts here, but although a lot of it might be because of the horrors that they saw, but also because they don't look at themselves as heroes- they believe it was just something that needed to be done, and get on with it.  I know most in the military are still the same way now- as in they don't believe they are heroes (They sure are!!!!)  I thank God every day that there are people of every generation that feels a calling to serve and protect us!  I just pray that  they can just do their job- without listening to those who are sitting in plush offices saying how they should do their jobs!  Have a great weekend.  Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I admire Clint Eastwood both as an actor ,and for what he is doing now for ex soldiers ,.,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

In the 30-40s it was a belief that a man was supposed to do his job and not complain. The "Strong Silent Type" was how men were. They did what had to be done and then went back to their families never to speak of the problems again. Today we are of the mindset that we should talk about anything that bothers us. So, now it has become vogue to bitch and complain about everything. I went to war when I was young and I saw and did the same things others did. Why don't I have the Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome? What is wrong with bing able to control your emotions? OK, That's something more to think about. Regards, Bill.

Anonymous said...

h