Monday, February 6, 2006

Cartoon in Denmark Seen As Defamation of Islam Faith


Cartoon in Denmark Seen As Defamation of Islam Faith


CNN 360


February 6, 2006


A very sad thing happened in Denmark this winter.


Anderson Cooper said tonight that an irresponsible


journalist in Denmark published a cartoon which made light of the Holy man of all Islam- Mohammed. All around the world some Muslims have reacted; they have burned Danish flags in Lebannon where the Danish have a big company.Riots have broken out in other parts of the world; causing violence and unease.


CNN filmed demonstrators whihc held up signs that said "People who defame Islam should be hung" and "Europe will now learn what 9/11 was all about".


I say here that many many Muslims in the world condemn these ruthless practices.


What do you think? Personally, I have an opinion.


I do not think that cartoonists should be encouraged to attack different faiths and make those people then feel badly. And I do not think that that cartoonist represents Americans as we live and think.I think that we are much more global  and humane in our thinking and inclusive.


Sullivan has a blog Anders on mentioned that is well read and he said that Sullivan  commented in it that it is the way of the free world to be able to say what we think.


I think that our freedom is precious. However I remember what our founding fathers thought freedom represented: the right to follow your dreams and work for what you believe in. I do not think that tearing down others beliefs fits in that equation.I would not like to harm journalsits; rather I would like for the free world to set up more responsible journalism practices.


What do you think?Please leave me some comments.


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I think what he did was in bad taste....I think he had every right to do it.  I don't think anyone has the right to say what a person can't express as long as he isn't physically doing damage to someone.  For society shouldn't have the right to not allow for some people to speak just because it doesn't want to hear it....for in the end, you don't have to read it, see it, or listen to it if it offends you.

Anonymous said...

I think that people need to lighten up, it's just a frigging cartoon! Most of the trouble in this world comes from people taking things too damn seriously!
Marti